Sunday, April 18, 2010

"We know that as long as we are ensnared by our attachments to creatures we will be incapable of union with God." John of the Cross

I have begun a 30 day Spiritual retreat based on the Classic Spirituality of John of the Cross. Each day I will reflect on a passage of the book that has some meaning to me. Some days I may continue on the reflection from the day before.

There has been lots going on in my life the past month and it has really led me to some dark places. I reflect on what is the cause; how can I change it; and does it have an effect on my life with God? It's funny that many things can move us quickly away from God and into a dark place where we begin to concentrate on the negatives of life rather than on the positive gifts we already have enjoyed and possess.

After some quiet time I began to realize that I didn't cause any of my reasons for begin in this dark space nor do I have any real ability to change them. I can only do what is best and I must then turn to the One who has always been there for me and has always held me close. Doing this, I realize that without His help and comfort I am lost and going nowhere. I don't want to fully isolate myself from those who are in suffering, but I must be strong enough to not let them lead me away from Him who loves me more than I can imagine.

It isn't always a breathing creature that causes separation for me, but I find that things like television or any other form of amusement can keep me from Him. Not that I watch bad things, but I could be spending that time reading, reflecting, or just spending quiet time in prayer. I have choices and sometimes I don't make the best. We all face this problem and have to make concerted efforts to stay the course. I pray that over the next 30 days I will be able to maintain my exercises and remain faithful to my convictions and He who is always with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment